(80% of quiz marks)
Weekend Photography Course
Basically, most of this course will be broken into projects and adventures.
Each lesson contains an introduction to the project with photography tips tailored to an assignment.
We’ll explain what the project entails and get the kids excited for it. Then, we, the instructors, will go out on our own example adventure and try get photos based on the project of the week. Finally, each lesson culminates in a photo review where we the instructors discuss some of the students’ best shots, and gives tips on how to improve them.
Each weekly home assignment should take from 30-60 minutes.
Here are the some of the Photo Adventures:
- Animals and Pets
- Family Portraits
- Plants and Nature
- A Bug’s Life
- Be a Photojournalist for a Day
- Photo Walks
Photana instructors are always available through the course page for any questions or concerns. We will get back to you within 1-2 business days, but most likely sooner! We are also available to grade your child’s work, so that they can get homeschool credit, or credit for an extracurricular class.
By the end of this course, your kids will have a better understanding of how cameras work, how to take better pictures, and will have had lots of fun on our Photo Adventures!
Go ahead and click the enroll button, and I’ll see you in lesson 1!
What are the requirements?
- You need no prior photography knowledge. We’ll start with the basics and have fun with all of our projects.
- It’s however mandatory, having some sort of camera (digital, a phone with a camera, tablet etc) would allow the student to take part in all of the adventures.
What’s your child going to get from this course?
- Take better photos with any camera your child has
- Shooting better photos with basic composition skills
- Learn the basic history and technique of photography
- Practice basic photography skills over 12 weeks of lessons
- Competitive in local & international contests
- Interaction with likeminded kids
- Keeping weekends busy, engaging and fun
Who is the target audience?
- Children with no prior photography experience
- Anyone interested in learning the basics of photography and have fun doing so
- Kids Ages 7-17
Welcome to Photana 101!
How can we harness the creativity of your child through photography?
- Simplify Concepts – The most important element in your teaching children is that they understand a single concept first – and understand that well. From this foundation you can build upon other elements slowly.
Starting with the Basics – Some of the most important concepts in photography are known to be “Fill the Frame” and “Rule of Thirds“. We shall begin with some of these concepts such as “Fill the Frame”, and emphasize that above all your subject must fill the frame to remove distractions. It’s ok to show examples of subjects quite literally “filling the frame” with very few other elements. Once they practice and master the idea of removing distractions, we shall go on to explain that other elements can be in the photo to support their main subject.
- Little Theory, More Practice – Kids have a very short attention span. For this reason we will spend the majority of teaching time allowing the kids to practice. We shall assign them a number of photos, and encourage them to come back for feedback. Invaluable practice comes from re-shooting the same subject to get the concept down.
- Repeat, Repeat, Repeat – Only through repetition will these concepts be understood. Majority of the course time will be spent on trying to make the students understand through repetition.